Over the labor day long weekend I did 3 day cycling tour in Victoria Islands with a good friend of mine. Given the ease of getting from Seattle, good camping and amazing riding – I would say this is a great tour to partake!
The first day we biked about 10km out to a park from the Victoria ferry terminal but then did a 20km round trip to Victoria to get dinner! On the second day we biked about 75km from Fort Victoria to Sooke Potholes park and then onward to French Beach Provincial Park and on the third day we make the journey back to Victoria covering about 65km.
Fig 1. The Three Day Route
In additional to being a German road trip and a long needed vacation, I had great time boating in calm waters of German canals, seeing friends, doing my first hike in Bavarian alps and enjoying great vegetarian food and of course German beer! The early July was time well spent!
Fig 1. The Road Trip (June 30 – July 11, 2012).
My Germany trip was always a mythical event, Axel had almost given up on my promises to come see him in Munich. But after my successful tryst with a German Visa I was upbeat to make the trip happen. Heidi decided to join in this trip, and we planned to visit her father who is boating in Germany on his four month Euro-boat trip. We found some pretty decent tickets to fly in to Frankfurt from Vancouver BC, thanks to AirTransat. So the trip was set in matter of couple of days, and the myth was about to be a legend (maybe that a bit too far fetched).
Alrite summer is just around the corner! Its the time we folks in Northwest look forward to! The entire misery of dark winters and rainy days is worth the gorgeous 3 months of summer we get around here!
I have been meaning to do a few outdoorsy things this summer, and wanted to started chalking my list here so that friends and family can join in, talk me in to and out of few things :) –
- Rock-climbing & Bouldering
- A weekend bouldering trip to Squamish!
- Climbing as many single-pitch 5.8s as I can. May be pick up Exit-38 Wednesdays!
- Goal: Outer space (?) (July 2nd week or Aug 2nd week) – Outer space is a six pitch climb near Leavenworth, and it has been my goal since i started cragging a couple of years ago. Given my space and rock-climbing touch, it might not happen this year but still a worthy goal.
- Mountaineering –
- Mt. Adams (June 19th?)
- Mt. Baker (June 26th)
- Mt. Shuskan (?)
- Goal: Lead a trip up Mt. Rainier (July 17th), may be two
- Goal: One ice-climb, may be Mt. Hood late in the season (Aug 1st week?)
- Flying Wheels Summer Century! (June 12th)
- Goal: Lead a week-long trip along Oregon Coast (week of July 24th), in preparation to India biking adventure.
- Now that i still have my SV650s for this season I would love to do some long riding and track days with it. I have already been eyeing some routes.
- Goal: Do at-least one long ride and one track day!
- Yosemite (?) (Late summer Aug(?))
- Need suggestions and friends to go with!
- Hiking & Camping
- Granite Mountain
- Camp Muir
- Goal: At-least do one camping trip with friends
- Try a new activity
- Rafting down Yakima river! (July 4th –?)
- Sea-kayaking or Sailing
- Goal: Learn to swim in open water
May be I should make a outdoor activities calendar. Making it public is a little itchy but hey its summer in the northwest!!
Vaidehi came over for July 4th weekend. After all the busy weekends only this weekend i got some time to get the pictures ready and share the goodness. It was really fun time motorcycling, biking, salsa dancing, strolling and climbing with her and Maris. :).
All right I’m getting a chance to go visit home!! Eh..hoo!! Here is the rough plan –
Hopefully, I can make all the other stuff work. If any of you guys are around do let me know!! More details getting added soon!